Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dream of the Rood ~ 7th Century Anglo Saxon Poem

May God be friend to me, 
He who once suffered on the gallows tree,
On earth here for men's sins.


Listen, the best of dreams  let me tell you
that I met with near midnight
when the spear-bearers were sleeping.
I thought I saw a sparkling tree
lifted on high, laden with light,
the brightest of trees. All the beacon was
gilded with gold; gems gripped it
gleaming across all earth, and five of them
were on the cross-beam. I saw an angel chorus,
beautiful creation; no cruel gallows this:
holy spirits beheld it there,
men throughout the world and this wondrous creation.





More athttp://www.stephen-spender.org/2004_prize/ssmt_evPrizeOver18_01.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...