Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Taliesin

The Early Welsh Poets are known collectively as Y Cynfeirdd, a literal translation. Taliesin is one of the most well-known and highly-regarded early Welsh poets, one of Y Cynfeirdd, dating from the sixth century.


Taliesin is often referred to in early poetry and legend as Taliesin Ben Beirdd, meaning Taliesin, Chief of Bards. He is noted in a now famous passage of the Historia Brittonum, a Latin work that some associate with a Welsh cleric called Nennius (c.800) but others attribute to an unknown writer, as being one of a number of early poets who flourished in the late sixth century:

"Then Talhaearn Tad Awen gained renown in poetry, and (A)neirin and Taliesin and Blwchfardd and Cian who is called Gwenith Gwawd gained renown together at the same time in British poetry."

Poems attributed only to Taliesin and Aneirin have survived. No poems by the other three poets mentioned in the Historia - Talhaearn, Bluchbard and Cian - have survived, and may have been lost at an early date.



"Fair Elffin, cease your lament!
....Though I am weak and small,
On the wave crest of the surging sea,
I shall be better for you
Than three hundred shares of salmon.
Elffin of noble generosity,
Do not sorrow at your catch.
Though I am weak on the floor of my basket,
There are wonders on my tongue....''

"Floating like a boat in its waters,
I was thrown into a dark bag,
and on an endless sea, I was set adrift.
Just as I was suffocating, I had a happy omen,
and the master of the Heavens brought me to liberty."
More at 



1 comment:

  1. Greetings, I thought that you might like my
    Taliesin's Battle Of The Trees machinima film,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0gduIjXOU4
    Bright Blessings By Stone and Star,
    Celestial Elf ~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...